Sunday, July 14, 2013

Stop waiting


At some point you have to stop waiting, and you just need to start living. Living the life you didn't plan. It seems like we are always on the fence just watching and hoping for our turn to put my husband back in the Game. When he had his stroke, he was single. A lot has changed since then. A marriage and two little boys. He hasn't returned to any full time employment during this time. Everything around him has changed- but his career is still on pause. It's too long to wait and hope. It's too long to wait and be sad about what we don't have. I often envision myself in the shoes of some early pioneers or in the shoes of my Grandma during the depression. Who lived in small one room homes with multiple children, grateful to just have food on the table. I've said this before- but the worst thing that can happen to a person is not that they don't get that five star mansion and great car they always dreamed of, the worst thing that could happen to a person is unhealthy relationships and broken family ties.

We don't have mansion- but we do have a strong family. Somehow this is enough. We are thrilled to have this. Now I am not trying to say that everyday that passes that my husband does not have a job isn't very hard on him. It is. I'm trying to say it's no reason to stop living. It's no reason to be sad. Hard times bring sorrow but they don't have to bring depression. At some point you need to live the life that is given to you and be happy about it. It's OK that things happen differently, sometimes I think it is better that things don't happen the way we plan. Our character is forged in these moments and relationships can be stronger because of the turbulence. For people wrapped up in"things" and who starve their relationships-- I would have to say a stroke isn't such a bad idea- is that just horrible for me to say :). Anything that slows us down and turns us towards the things that matter most-- will be well worth our while.

1 comment:

  1. I guess our trials teach us just what we need to learn and give us the compassion we'll need to help others. I love how you are picking up on all those lessons and sharing it with all of us.

    ReplyDelete