Sunday, September 29, 2013

Holding On


So much of our experince in this life has to do with perception. Our perceptions of situations turn into "stories" that then dictate our attitude. I have been working lately to change the "story" I tell myself. I don't think it is fair to hold the future hostage with unrealistic expectations. For my husband sometimes I tell myself he won't ever find a good job. It's been more than five years and the hope of becoming a doctor has waned and we are still not sure where to go next. Sometimes I tell myself things like "it's not fair" or "no one understands." But these are all just stories.

We all have our own demons that we just can't let go of - as horrible as they are for us. I know we can let go. I know I can let go. I'm trying to change my story so our future is better. It doesn't do any good to complain. It doesn't do any good to hold grudges. I'm learning these things only hurt my relationship my my husband and kids. Faith comes before the miracles. Sometimes I feel that by holding onto my fears I am forgoing a better way. I have a sense that if I can change "stories" I tell myself (that are not accurate), it will change our life for the better.

What are the demons you are holding onto? What are the stories you are telling yourself that aren't true?  Lets change them together :)

Summer

No comments:

Post a Comment